Producing Stop-Motion Animation from Creative Writing
Choose toy characters and write a creative story about a journey upon which your characters embark. Use a storyboard template to transform your story into a video planning script. Use a mobile device and PicPac (a free app) to capture your story and create a stop-motion animation video.
We would love to see your work! Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Grade Levels: 6-12
Students will choose toy characters and will write a creative story about a journey upon which their characters embark. They will use a storyboard template to transform their stories into a video planning script. They will use mobile devices and PicPac (a free app) to capture their stories and create stop-motion animation videos.
Click to the button below to download the Storyboard Template.Download Storyboard Template
What You Will Need
- Storyboard Template
- Bendable figurines, action figures, dolls, or other small toy characters
- Cardboard or boxes (i.e. cereal boxes, shoe boxes, discarded boxes)
- Maps, toys, and other items that can be used for background scenes and objects
- Colorful paper
- Tablets or phones
- PicPac (free app for mobile devices for lite version, which is sufficient for this lesson)
How To Create the Stop-Motion Animation Video
- Install PicPac on a mobile device.
- Use the camera on the mobile device to take a series of pictures for their story.
- Open the PicPac app and do the following
- Choose Local Photos.
- Tap the pictures to include and click the right arrow.
- Tap and hold to rotate or duplicate any pictures as needed. Duplicating will make it last longer than other images in the video.
- Tap the right arrow when ready.
- Enter a Title, set the duration of each picture, and click Create Video.
- Tap record to add narration or click search online (if connected to Wi-Fi) to select free music that is available.
- Choose a sharing or saving option. If you want to transfer the file to other devices, click the disk icon to save to the device and use a USB cable to retrieve the file on a computer.
Examples from Others Online
Look at examples of inspiring stop-motion animation videos. The following videos are examples of inspirational work by others on YouTube.